I know that all of my girls have gone through this at some point, however brief. Mostly it happened on Sunday mornings in the nursery. It always struck me a strange because they were in the nursery every week from the time they were 4 weeks old, but then suddenly, one day (usually b/w 12 and 18 mos) they would freak out when we would leave.
Well, Julie seems to have expanded the horizons of her separation anxiety. Basically she freaks out anytime I'm out of her sight. If a door closes between us, it's an immediate tantrum. The funny thing is that she has roomtime every day for an hour. During that time she plays with toys, in the Pack 'n' Play, in my room, with the door shut. She never freaks out. Anytime I put her in her crib for a nap or bedtime, she usually bounces for a while then goes to sleep - no crying. But yesterday I put her in roomtime in her bedroom, on the floor, with the gate closing her in. (You'd think she'd love that - a whole room to explore, many more toys to choose from). She wigged out. It all seems very strange and inconsistent to me - but, since when are babies logical and consistent?
Now the task at hand is to get her over this. I suddenly realized yesterday that I can't have her in the playroom screaming while trying to do school with Ali & Emma this fall. I'm counting on her playing happily in there for at least a little while. So, as I write I am listening to a screaming banshee upstairs in her room. It's bringing me back to the days when we took away the paci. It's amazing how humbling motherhood can be . . . just when I think I've got things running smoothly God sends a screaming Julie to remind me of my dependence upon Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment