Friday, April 4, 2008

A Freaky Little Genius

I know that I've mentioned Julie's love for books many times before. She can literally sit for an hour if she has books available. Personally, I love it! The other day she had a book of mine - It was a Family Fun book (compiled from their magazines). She stood at the couch and flipped through it, page by page many many times throughout the day. It struck me as funny, because it really isn't a kid's book. It does have lots of pictures in it, so I figured she was enjoying them, and I just chuckled to myself. Then the other day I was doing school with the girls. I had put Meg into room time, but somehow just forgot about Julie. Suddenly I realized that I hadn't put her in room time, then realized that I hadn't heard a peep from her in a long time, then thought "Oh glory! What is that child getting into?" It was that "scary silence" that can only mean trouble. Well, I walked into the living room (right around the corner from the kitchen, where I was) and this is what I saw. Yes that is my Bible she is "reading." As you can tell, she is almost to the end of it. I stood there watching her as she flipped page by page, thoroughly enjoying herself. I honestly don't understand this . . . it's all in black and white, and the only pictures are occasional maps. Weird.

I must also mention that this little peanut recognizes all of her capital letters. There was one evening when I picked her up and I was wearing a sweatshirt that said EDDIE BAUER across the front. She started pointing at letters and saying their names. I looked up at Aaron with a shocked look on my face and asked him how she knew that! In one sense that really isn't so shocking, but keep in mind that she is a fourth child. Ali knew her letters by this age, but she was our first. We didn't sit and drill her on them, but we did have lots of educational toys (what happened to all of those?). She would play with letter toys in the bathtub, and we would talk with her about them, etc . . . Julie hasn't had any of that. She has a couple of ABC books that she really likes, and an occasional episode of "Super Why" but that is it. Meg has had all of that as well, and still doesn't know all of her letters.

So, maybe we have a budding academic on our hands. Or maybe I'm just being a silly mommy. Either way, I think she's a bit of a wierdo! : )

No comments: