Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Screeching Halt

Nothin' says lovin' like sharing highly contagious viruses!
-
Yes, we have the Alligoods to thank for our exposure to Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. In their defense, I did know that Aubrey had a fever when we went over there on Wednesday . . . but in an effort to catch up on some Science and Spanish that we were already behind on, I dismissed it as no big deal. I know . . . I'm such a genius. On Friday morning Amber discovered the sores in her mouth and started to wonder if she was dealing with more than just a typical fever. She called the doctor. Suspicions confirmed: HF&MD.
-
What we were expecting to be a busy weekend (Plans with the Elliotts on Friday night. Plans with the Alligoods (for Aubrey's birthday - poor kid) on Saturday. Church on Sunday.) None of that is happening now b/c HF&MD can be spread even before you show symptoms. Now we just watch and wait, hoping that we managed to get away unscathed.
-
Strangely, I'm not that disappointed that plans had to be canceled. While I was looking forward to all that was planned, an unexpected weekend at home is quite a treat. Thankfully, everyone is well right now, so it's kind of like a little vacation (except for the fact that we have massive amounts of painting, packing and cleaning that need to get done). The incubation period for HF&MD is 3-7 days . . . 4 more days to wait it out.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Blake had that when he was about Bailey's age. He was miserable, poor kid, because the sores were all over the inside of his mouth. The pediatrician told us to put a bottle of liquid mylanta in the fridge...the cold liquid and the anti-acid would be soothing.

Andi said...

we all got it last summer. it spreads so fast among kids. it didn't really bother any of us though.