Sunday, July 29, 2007

Birthday Celebrations

We have had a lot going on this past week and I haven't posted any of it . . . so here goes . . .
Wednesday was my birthday . . . I turned 30. I keep thinking that it should feel like more of a milestone, but it doesn't. Life goes on.

I actually had a really nice birthday. Aaron took the day off, which meant that he got up with the kids and I got to sleep in (really great, since I'm still trying to catch up on my lack of sleep from my Harry Potter weekend!) I was brought breakfast in bed (donuts and frapuccino) and then we decided to make a family trip to the zoo. As I think over my life since Ali was born, we have been to the zoo 3 times and they were all trips without Emma (not to mention any subsequent children). So, my almost 6 yr old got to go the the zoo for the first time . . . pathetic! It was a fun trip, though it was very hot outside.
The one thing that was really disappointing to me was how blatantly evolutionary everything was! I know, it shouldn't surprise me. But it's so disappointing to be marveling at God's creation with my kids and then to see a huge display of Charles Darwin with all of the animals in the exhibit having been arranged to demonstrate how evolution "happened." All stated as fact. It's maddening to me. Thankfully, the kids were oblivious to it. The time will come when I have to tell them that the rest of the world is trying remove God from His creation, but I'm not ready to burden them with that yet. Now, I'll step off of my soap box.
We left the zoo at about noon and headed to Burger King for lunch (Nice, healthy day so far, don't you think?) We went home for nap time and while Aaron stayed home with the kids I was able to go out and do some shopping - by myself! : ) All I have to say about that is that there are few things in life that are quite as satisfying to a stay-at-home mother of 4 as a shopping trip where you find everything you were looking for, quickly, and at amazingly low prices! I got some clothes for Ali and some fabric to make an Elizabeth (American Girl doll) dress-up dress for a birthday present for Emma (See below). It was wonderful . . . no questions, no rush . . . ahhhh . . .

I came home to find that Aaron, Ali and Emma had completely cleaned my kitchen! (Nothin' says lovin' like a clean kitchen!) I got home just in time to get everyone ready to go. The Alligoods kept the kids for us and Aaron and I went out to the Olive Garden for dinner (adding to our long list of nutritionally bankrupt foods that we have eaten for the day! : )) We also got out to the mall to do some more birthday shopping for Emma. It was great. We returned to the Alligoods house and had some time to hang out (and talk Harry Potter) with them. It was a really great day!

Now onto Emma's Birthday . . .

No, her birthday hasn't actually passed yet . . . it's on the first, but the Alligood's leave for a week in PA tomorrow, so her party was early this year. We took Ali, Emma, Jonah, Karis, Grace and Abigail all out to Ronnie's to see Ratatouille. (Very cute movie, by the way.) We also had Miss Jodi and 4 Layman/Richardson siblings along with us, so we were quite a crew. Rather than giving the kids goodie bags we got each of them a kiddie combo to snack on during the movie. (I know that the kids love goodie bags, but in my opinion they are just bags full of cheap stuff that I will be sneaking into the garbage in a week's time!) Needless to say, getting refreshments for 13 people was rather time consuming, but we made it into the theater just in time.
After the movie we went to Krispy Kreme and did donuts instead of cake and opened presents there. She got all kinds of fun girly stuff, including Polly Pockets, a Fairytopia Barbie, a Make-up set and her Elizabeth dress. She was very excited about everything. The dress was especially a hit - with Miss Jodi in particular!
Friday night Amber and the kids stayed the night (Our hubbies are out of town for the weekend at high school camp.) The big kids got to watch Felicity and have sleepover in the basement.
So, like I said, we've had a lot going on! It has been a fun week, but I am VERY ready for Aaron to be home! Just a few more hours to go!

No comments: