Thursday, January 10, 2008

Doll Surgery

I was prepared for most of what motherhood has sent my way. I was prepared for late night feedings, temper tantrums, late nights with a vomiting child, many many spankings, etc . . . I may not have liked it, but I expected it. I was also prepared to kiss bumps and bruises, talk to dolls as if they were real, read many many books and watch stupid kids shows. Well, today I spent and hour and a half of naptime doing something that I never anticipated (though maybe I should have.) Yes, I was deeply involved in surgery on a beloved doll of Ali's. For Christmas Ali got a set of 4 Wizard of Oz Ornaments. They are really just small porcelain dolls that are dressed up like Dorothy, The scarecrow, the tinman and the lion. Ali had no desire to use them as Christmas ornaments and asked if she could just play with them. I was fine with that, though she was warned that they weren't very sturdy and she had to be careful. Well, poor Dorothy lost a leg and an arm. As I looked into the mess I realized that her limbs were only connected by elastic and I thought I might be able to figure out a way to get her back together. Within the first five minutes of my fiddling, she was also missing her other arm and her head. So a minor project turned into something major . . . all for this stupid doll that really wasn't worth my time. What I really wanted to do was just throw the thing in the garbage. . . and I would have, if it wasn't for the fact that Ali loves her. : )

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I could sort of see that coming, but I didn't anticipate that it would happen so soon! Does she realize now how gentle she's going to have to be with them (and that they really weren't made to be played with)?

alp2295 said...

Unfortunately, I don't think she does realize how gentle she needs to be. Emma happened to be the one playing with the doll when it broke (she wasn't being rough - she was just the lucky one) But I think that Ali thinks it was Emma's fault. I guess we'll see! I have told her many times that they weren't meant to be played with (as did G'ma Patton), but she's willing to risk it. Really, I think the doll is sturdier now than before surgery!